What is Azure DevOps?
Before going deep in to Azure DevOps, Let us first try to understand the need of DevOps in the enterprises. Business and Organizations wants to become lean, agile and wants to optimize the cost of IT investments & operations, but at the same time wants to respond to customers and employees requirements quickly.
DevOps is the combination of cultural philosophies, practices, and tools that increases an organization’s ability to deliver applications and services at high velocity: evolving and improving products at a faster pace than organizations using traditional software development and infrastructure management processes. This speed enables organizations to better serve their customers and compete more effectively in the market.
How DevOps Works?
Under a DevOps model, development and operations teams are no longer “siloed.” Sometimes, these two teams are merged into a single team where the engineers work across the entire application lifecycle, from development and test to deployment to operations, and develop a range of skills not limited to a single function.
In some DevOps models, quality assurance and security teams may also become more tightly integrated with development and operations and throughout the application lifecycle. When security is the focus of everyone on a DevOps team, this is sometimes referred to as DevSecOps.
These teams use practices to automate processes that historically have been manual and slow. They use a technology stack and tooling which help them operate and evolve applications quickly and reliably. These tools also help engineers independently accomplish tasks (for example, deploying code or provisioning infrastructure) that normally would have required help from other teams, and this further increases a team’s velocity.
Benefits of DevOps
- Speed – Move at high velocity so you can innovate for customers faster, adapt to changing markets better, and grow more efficient at driving business results.
- Rapid Delivery – Increase the frequency and pace of releases so you can innovate and improve your product faster. The quicker you can release new features and fix bugs, the faster you can respond to your customers’ needs and build competitive advantage
- Reliability – Ensure the quality of application updates and infrastructure changes so you can reliably deliver at a more rapid pace while maintaining a positive experience for end users.
- Scale – Operate and manage your infrastructure and development processes at scale. Automation and consistency help you manage complex or changing systems efficiently and with reduced risk.
- Improved Collaboration – Build more effective teams under a DevOps cultural model, which emphasizes values such as ownership and accountability.
- Security – Move quickly while retaining control and preserving compliance.
Why Azure DevOps?
Microsoft Azure DevOps offers all the tools and services required for an organisation to Plan smarter, collaborate better, and ship faster with a set of modern dev services. Below are the list of services offered by Microsoft Azure
- Azure Boards:- Deliver value to your users faster using proven agile tools to plan, track, and discuss work across your teams.
- Azure Pipeline:- Build, test, and deploy with CI/CD that works with any language, platform, and cloud. Connect to GitHub or any other Git provider and deploy continuously.
- Azure Repo:- Get unlimited, cloud-hosted private Git repos and collaborate to build better code with pull requests and advanced file management.
- Azure Test Plan:- Test and ship with confidence using manual and exploratory testing tools.
- Azure Artifacts:- Create, host, and share packages with your team, and add artifacts to your CI/CD pipelines with a single click.